Friday, December 08, 2006

Why Worry?


"It would be a lot easier to enjoy your life if there weren't so many things trying to kill you every day."

This is the opening statement in one of my recent Time magazines. The article is very fitting - and convicting - for me, sad but true. The article is titled, "Why we worry about the things we shouldn't ... and ignore the things we should."

I'm always worrying and trying not to worry. My sister has seen several cases of Rotavirus in the clinic so these days my mind wanders to the many illnesses that could make their way to my children, infest them and lead us all into a holiday season of cold & flu. But then I think of other children whose worries are far worse or, more aptly, whose realities are far worse than my fears could imagine.

And yet, I dwell on the new thoughts introduced by Time, good ol' Time magazine, which never ceases to amaze me with some sad truth about the world. This time it's this fact: the fall out of bed kills 600 Americans each year!!! That is a scary thought, given that Gavin will, at times, find himself in our bed when he seems inconsolable at night and needs the comfort of having Mom and Dad close by. What if one of us were to get up at night and soon find him ... okay, I'll stop right there because here I go worrying again. P.S. I do know all the many many articles everywhere and countless people who say that co-sleeping is WRONG WRONG WRONG. Judgment hats away please. Anyway, here's hoping none of us are one of the 600 people who fall out of bed and into their death.

So going back to the worrying about illness. Here we are at the Mall of America and Nathan finds himself at Lego Land, the perfect breeding ground for germs of all sizes and shapes! I've heard three days is the magic number for the length of time it takes for a virus to cause symptoms. Today would be day #1. We're hoping for a healthy December but I still can't help but worry ...


No comments: